When it comes to skin cancer diagnosis and treatment you want to make sure you are seeing a professional skin expert. A dermatologist is a medical professional that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of skin conditions. If you are looking for melanoma treatment near me in Brentwood, TN, Dr. Binhlam at Advanced Skin and Laser Center has the experience and knowledge to diagnose and treat your skin cancer.
How is Melanoma Diagnosed?
It’s important to keep a close eye on any moles you have on your body and see a dermatologist annually for a skin cancer screening. Certain changes may indicate that a mole has become cancerous.
- Physical exam: Your doctor will start by examining the skin to look for any suspicious moles or other skin growths.
- Biopsy: If a suspicious mole is found, they will take a small sample of tissue from the area and send it to a lab for testing by a pathologist to determine if it is cancerous. The area is numbed for the biopsy so you will not feel any pain.
- Additional testing: If your biopsy indicated melanoma, the doctor may order additional tests, such as ultrasounds, X-rays, CT scans, or MRIs, to determine if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
The type of treatment recommended will depend on a variety of factors, including the thickness of the melanoma, whether or not it has spread, the stage of melanoma, as well as the patient’s medical history and other conditions.
- Surgery: The primary treatment for melanoma is to surgically remove the cancerous mole and a margin of normal tissue around it to ensure that all cancer cells have been removed. In some cases, Mohs surgery may be an option.
- Lymph node dissection: If melanoma has spread to your lymph nodes, the dermatologist may recommend surgery to remove those lymph nodes.
- Radiation therapy: This treatment may be recommended following surgery to help prevent cancer from returning or when cancer has spread to the lymph nodes and surgery is not an option.
- Medication: Immunotherapy, targeted therapy, and chemotherapy may be used to destroy cancer cells. These are most commonly used for more advanced cancer.
Where to Find Melanoma Treatment Near Me in Brentwood, TN
If it’s been more than a year since your last skin cancer screening, call our office today at 615-842-SKIN to schedule an appointment. The best way to ensure a positive outcome if you are diagnosed with skin cancer is through early diagnosis and melanoma treatment near me.