SKIN CANCER DETECTION & PREVENTION
While AKs and skin cancers are almost always curable when detected and treated early, the surest line of defense is to prevent them in the first place. Here are some dermatologist-recommended sun-safety habits that should be part of everyone’s daily healthcare:
- Avoid unnecessary sun exposure, especially during the sun’s peak hours (10am to 4pm).
- Seek the shade
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat, long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher.
- Avoid tanning parlors and artificial tanning devices.
- Examine your skin from head to toe every month.
- Have a professional skin examination annually.