When your skin comes in contact with chemicals and becomes inflamed, this is known as contact dermatitis. The chemical may cause an irritant or an allergic response in the skin.  The resulting inflammation causes a red, itchy rash that is not contagious. There are many chemicals that can cause contact dermatitis – those in skin care products such as soaps, lotions, shampoos, make-up, certain metals used in jewelry, or chemicals in plants such as grass, weeds, poison ivy or poison oak.  Once we determine what chemicals are causing your rash, avoid coming in contact with them. The rash should clear up in 2-4 weeks. Meanwhile, you can use anti-itch creams to relieve your skin. Dr. Binhlam will be happy to consult with you to determine the culprit via allergy patch testing and give your treatments to alleviate the itching.

DON’T WAIT

Want to realize your skin’s true potential?

Schedule an appointment today!

SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT