If you are a woman experiencing hair loss or significant thinning, it can be devastating. For many women, so much of our self-confidence is tied to our appearance. Hair shedding can also indicate underlying health issues which may lead you to wonder “what causes female hair loss”?
If you are a woman with thinning hair, know that you are not alone and there are treatment options that can help. While hair loss may traditionally be thought of as something that only affects men, it is estimated that 50% of women will experience noticeable hair loss.
Top Causes of Female Hair Loss
The first step in treatment is to determine the cause of female hair loss. A dermatologist can help with diagnosis and hair loss treatment.
- Androgenetic alopecia – This is basically the female version of “male pattern baldness”. For women, this means thinning of the hair all over the head.
- Hormonal changes – These can be caused by pregnancy, menopause, or birth control pills
- Genetics – If your mother or other women in your family have experienced female pattern baldness, you are at higher risk.
- Surgeries or illness – These can cause a shock to your body which can disrupt your hair growth cycle
- Health conditions – Anemia, PCOS, thyroid disease, and precocious puberty can all cause hair loss. Seeing a doctor to find out what causes female hair loss is important because it can lead to the diagnosis of these medical conditions.
Best Treatment Options for Hair Loss in Women
Depending on the cause of your hair loss, there are several treatment options available.
- Minoxidil – Available to purchase over the counter for female hair loss
- Finasteride – Hormone blocking prescription medication
- PRP (platelet-rich plasma) – A series of in-office blood draws and injections to stimulate hair growth
- Hair Transplant – SmartGraft is an effective option to permanently treat hair loss, with minimal downtime and natural results.
Dermatologist for Hair Loss Treatment in Nashville
If you are a woman experiencing hair loss, you don’t have to continue wearing hats and scarves or being creative with hair styles. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Binhlam at Advanced Skin and Laser Center to learn what is causing your thinning hair and the best options for treatment. Call us at 615-843-SKIN.